4.3 What is different about Emacs 28?
Emacs 28 has too many new features and changes to list all of them
here. We list below a small selection; consult the Emacs NEWS
file (C-h n) for the full list of changes in Emacs 28.
Emacs now optionally supports native compilation of Lisp files. This
can improves performance significantly in some cases. To enable this,
configure Emacs with the --with-native-compilation option.
- The new NonGNU ELPA archive is enabled by default alongside GNU ELPA.
Thus, packages on NonGNU ELPA will appear by default in the list shown
- The Cairo graphics library is now used by default if present.
- On GNU/Linux, Emacs now supports loading Secure Computing filters. To
use this feature, invoke Emacs with the --seccomp=file
command-line switch, where file names a binary file that defines
the filtering. See the manual page of the
seccomp system call
for more details.
- The new themes ‘modus-vivendi’ and ‘modus-operandi’ have
been added. They are designed to conform with the highest standard
for color-contrast accessibility (WCAG AAA).
- On capable systems, Emacs now correctly displays Emoji and Emoji
sequences by default, provided that a suitable font is available.
- New system for displaying documentation for groups of functions
(M-x shortdoc-display-group RET).
- Emacs can now support 24-bit color text-mode terminals even if their
terminfo database doesn’t state this support in a standard way. Set
COLORTERM environment variable to the value ‘truecolor’
to activate this.
strike-through face attribute is now supported on capable
xterm-mouse-mode supports TTY menus.
- A new minor mode
(a.k.a. “right-clicks”) of the mouse to pop up context-dependent
- Prefix commands to control the display of the results of the next
command. C-x 4 4 command displays the result of
command in a new window. C-x 5 5 command displays
the results of command in a new frame.
- Emacs now supports “transient” input methods. A transient input
method is enabled for inserting a single character, and is then
automatically disabled. Select a transient input method with C-u
C-x \; enable it (for inserting a single character) with C-x \.
New input methods
compose (based on X Window System Multi_key
iso-transl are especially convenient with this
feature, when you need to insert a single special character.
- M-y, when invoked after a command that is not a yank command,
allows selection of one of the previous kills.
- New minor mode
repeat-mode allows to repeat commands with fewer
- Among the many internal changes in this release, we would like to
highlight that all files in the tree now use