1.6 Files and Directories
- The default directory for saving attachments. If
- Directory for storing temporary files.
- A list of functions used for rewriting file names of MIME
parts. Each function is applied successively to the file name.
Ready-made functions include
- Delete all control characters.
- Delete characters that could have unintended consequences when used
with flawed shell scripts, i.e., ‘|’, ‘>’ and ‘<’; and
‘-’, ‘.’ as the first character.
- Remove all whitespace.
- Remove leading and trailing whitespace.
- Collapse multiple whitespace characters.
- Replace whitespace with underscores. Set the variable
mm-file-name-replace-whitespace to any other string if you do
not like underscores.
The standard Emacs functions
upcase-initials might also prove useful.
- List of functions used for rewriting the full file names of MIME
parts. This is used when viewing parts externally, and is meant for
transforming the absolute name so that non-compliant programs can find
the file where it's saved.