20.4 Displaying in Another Window
C-x 4 is a prefix key for a variety of commands that switch to
a buffer in a different window—either another existing window, or a
new window created by splitting the selected window. See Window Choice, for how Emacs picks or creates the window to use.
- C-x 4 b bufname <RET>
- Select buffer bufname in another window
- C-x 4 C-o bufname <RET>
- Display buffer bufname in some window, without trying to select
display-buffer). See Displaying Buffers, for details
about how the window is chosen.
- C-x 4 f filename <RET>
- Visit file filename and select its buffer in another window
find-file-other-window). See Visiting.
- C-x 4 d directory <RET>
- Select a Dired buffer for directory directory in another window
dired-other-window). See Dired.
- C-x 4 m
- Start composing a mail message, similar to C-x m (see Sending Mail), but in another window (
- C-x 4 .
- Find a tag in the current tags table, similar to M-.
(see Tags), but in another window (
- C-x 4 r filename <RET>
- Visit file filename read-only, and select its buffer in another
find-file-read-only-other-window). See Visiting.