9.7 Invoking the
msgcmp [option] def.po ref.pot
msgcmp program compares two Uniforum style .po files to check that
both contain the same set of msgid strings. The def.po file is an
existing PO file with the translations. The ref.pot file is the last
created PO file, or a PO Template file (generally created by
This is useful for checking that you have translated each and every message
in your program. Where an exact match cannot be found, fuzzy matching is
used to produce better diagnostics.
9.7.1 Input file location
- References to the sources.
- ‘-D directory’
- Add directory to the list of directories. Source files are
searched relative to this list of directories.
9.7.2 Operation modifiers
- Apply ref.pot to each of the domains in def.po.
- Do not use fuzzy matching when an exact match is not found. This may speed
up the operation considerably.
- Consider fuzzy messages in the def.po file like translated messages.
Note that using this option is usually wrong, because fuzzy messages are
exactly those which have not been validated by a human translator.
- Consider untranslated messages in the def.po file like translated
messages. Note that using this option is usually wrong.
9.7.3 Input file syntax
- Assume the input files are Java ResourceBundles in Java
syntax, not in PO file syntax.
- Assume the input files are NeXTstep/GNUstep localized resource files in
.strings syntax, not in PO file syntax.
9.7.4 Informative output
- Display this help and exit.
- Output version information and exit.