25.1 Known Bugs
- ‘dm’ (delete mode) and ‘xs’ are not handled correctly (they
are ignored). ‘xn’ is treated as a magic-margin indicator.
screen has no clue about double-high or double-wide characters.
But this is the only area where
vttest is allowed to fail.
- It is not possible to change the environment variable
when reattaching under a different terminal type.
- The support of terminfo based systems is very limited. Adding extra
$TERMCAP may not have any effects.
screen does not make use of hardware tabs.
screen must be installed setuid root on most systems
in order to be able to
correctly change the owner of the tty device file for each window.
Special permission may also be required to write the file
- Entries in /etc/utmp are not removed when
screen is killed
with SIGKILL. This will cause some programs (like "w" or "rwho") to
advertise that a user is logged on who really isn't.
screen may give a strange warning when your tty has no utmp
- When the modem line was hung up,
screen may not automatically detach
(or quit) unless the device driver sends a HANGUP signal. To detach such a
screen session use the -D or -d command line option.
- If a password is set, the command line options -d and -D still detach a
session without asking.
defbreaktype change the break generating
method used by all terminal devices. The first should change a window
specific setting, where the latter should change only the default for new
- When attaching to a multiuser session, the user's .screenrc file is not
sourced. Each users personal settings have to be included in the
.screenrc file from which the session is booted, or have to be
- A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage of all the