We are pleased to announce the new release of GNU Guix and GuixSD, version 0.12.0!
It’s been a little over 4 months since the previous release, during which 76 people contributed code and packages. The highlights include:
- New GuixSD system services, including a log rotation service, a CUPS printing service, NFS related services, and an OpenSMTPD service.
- Guix daemon offloading support now uses Guile-SSH.
- GuixSD can now be installed to a LUKS-encrypted root.
- New cross-compiler toolchains for i686-w64-mingw32 and arm-none-eabi.
- A new d3.js backend for guix graph.
- 853 new packages, 864 package updates notably glibc 2.24 and linux-libre 4.8.15.
- Assorted improvements to all the tool set, many bug fixes and improvements to the manual!
See the release announcement for details.
About GNU Guix
GNU Guix is a transactional package manager for the GNU system. The Guix System Distribution or GuixSD is an advanced distribution of the GNU system that relies on GNU Guix and respects the user's freedom.
In addition to standard package management features, Guix supports transactional upgrades and roll-backs, unprivileged package management, per-user profiles, and garbage collection. Guix uses low-level mechanisms from the Nix package manager, except that packages are defined as native Guile modules, using extensions to the Scheme language. GuixSD offers a declarative approach to operating system configuration management, and is highly customizable and hackable.
GuixSD can be used on an i686 or x86_64 machine. It is also possible to use Guix on top of an already installed GNU/Linux system, including on mips64el and armv7.