Next: , Previous: , Up: Translation Process   [Contents][Index]

4.7 Distribution Terms

Most articles are released under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 United States or 4.0 International license. The exact HTML for English pages to use is:

This page is licensed under a <a rel="license"
Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License</a>.

Pages in other languages should translate this notice, and should link to a translated version of the Creative Commons license “deed” if it’s available. Creative Commons provides standard text for this in all the languages they support, and we should use that wording whenever possible. To do that, follow these steps:

For example, here’s the text they provide for Dutch:

Dit werk is gelicenseerd onder een <a rel="license"
Creative Commons Naamsvermelding-GeenAfgeleideWerken 3.0 Verenigde
Staten licentie</a>

Note that the link in this text is changed to point directly to the Dutch language deed. We should always link to a copy of the license deed that’s in the same language as the page itself.

Pages in languages that aren’t supported by CC should prepare their own translation, use it consistently throughout pages translated to that language, and link to the English language deed. Also, please write your own translation when the translation provided by CC is not satisfactory for some reasons—for instance, as of May, 2012, their German translation uses “Content”, which is a word to use with caution (see Words to Avoid (or Use with Care)).

Note that translations should not change the jurisdiction of the license; in case of CC BY-ND 3.0, they should always link to the CC BY-ND 3.0 United States license, and not a different port like CC BY-ND 3.0 Japan. This is because there are substantive differences between the way different ports handle moral rights issues, and we prefer the specific terms that are in the United States license.

Next: Copyright Notices, Previous: How to Handle Internal Links, Up: Translation Process   [Contents][Index]