22.214.171.124 Red Gnus
New features in Gnus 5.4/5.5:
- nntp.el has been totally rewritten in an asynchronous fashion.
- Article prefetching functionality has been moved up into
Gnus (see Asynchronous Fetching).
- Scoring can now be performed with logical operators like
not, and parent redirection (see Advanced Scoring).
- Article washing status can be displayed in the
article mode line (see Misc Article).
- gnus.el has been split into many smaller files.
- Suppression of duplicate articles based on Message-ID can be done
(see Duplicate Suppression).
(setq gnus-suppress-duplicates t)
- New variables for specifying what score and adapt files are to be
considered home score and adapt files (see Home Score File) have
nndoc was rewritten to be easily extensible (see Document Server Internals).
- Groups can inherit group parameters from parent topics (see Topic Parameters).
- Article editing has been revamped and is now actually usable.
- Signatures can be recognized in more intelligent fashions
(see Article Signature).
- Summary pick mode has been made to look more
numbers are displayed and the . command can be used to pick
Pick and Read).
- Commands for moving the .newsrc.eld from one server to
another have been added (see Changing Servers).
- There’s a way now to specify that “uninteresting” fields be suppressed
when generating lines in buffers (see Advanced Formatting).
- Several commands in the group buffer can be undone with C-M-_
- Scoring can be done on words using the new score type
(see Score File Format).
- Adaptive scoring can be done on a Subject word-by-word basis
(see Adaptive Scoring).
(setq gnus-use-adaptive-scoring '(word))
- Scores can be decayed (see Score Decays).
(setq gnus-decay-scores t)
- Scoring can be performed using a regexp on the Date header. The Date is
normalized to compact ISO 8601 format first (see Score File Format).
- A new command has been added to remove all data on articles from
the native server (see Changing Servers).
- A new command for reading collections of documents
nnvirtual on top) has been added—C-M-d
(see Really Various Summary Commands).
- Process mark sets can be pushed and popped (see Setting Process Marks).
- A new mail-to-news back end makes it possible to post even when the NNTP
server doesn’t allow posting (see Mail-To-News Gateways).
- A new back end for reading searches from Web search engines
(DejaNews, Alta Vista, InReference) has been added
(see Web Searches).
- Groups inside topics can now be sorted using the standard sorting
functions, and each topic can be sorted independently (see Topic Sorting).
- Subsets of the groups can be sorted independently (
- Cached articles can be pulled into the groups (see Summary Generation Commands).
- Score files are now applied in a more reliable order (see Score Variables).
- Reports on where mail messages end up can be generated (see Splitting Mail).
- More hooks and functions have been added to remove junk from incoming
mail before saving the mail (see Washing Mail).
- Emphasized text can be properly fontisized: