9.9 Invoking the
msgen [option] inputfile
msgen program creates an English translation catalog. The
input file is the last created English PO file, or a PO Template file
(generally created by xgettext). Untranslated entries are assigned a
translation that is identical to the msgid.
Note: ‘msginit --no-translator --locale=en’ performs a very similar
task. The main difference is that
msginit cares specially about
the header entry, whereas
9.9.1 Input file location
- Input PO or POT file.
- ‘-D directory’
- Add directory to the list of directories. Source files are
searched relative to this list of directories. The resulting .po
file will be written relative to the current directory, though.
If inputfile is ‘-’, standard input is read.
9.9.2 Output file location
- ‘-o file’
- Write output to specified file.
The results are written to standard output if no output file is specified
or if it is ‘-’.
9.9.3 Input file syntax
- Assume the input file is a Java ResourceBundle in Java
syntax, not in PO file syntax.
- Assume the input file is a NeXTstep/GNUstep localized resource file in
.strings syntax, not in PO file syntax.
9.9.4 Output details
- Specify the ‘Language’ field to be used in the header entry. See
Header Entry for the meaning of this field. Note: The
‘Language-Team’ and ‘Plural-Forms’ fields are not set by this
- Specify whether or when to use colors and other text attributes.
See The –color option for details.
- Specify the CSS style rule file to use for
See The –style option for details.
- Always write an output file even if it contains no message.
- Write the .po file using indented style.
- Do not write ‘#: filename:line’ lines.
- Generate ‘#: filename:line’ lines (default).
- Write out a strict Uniforum conforming PO file. Note that this
Uniforum format should be avoided because it doesn't support the
- Write out a Java ResourceBundle in Java
.properties syntax. Note
that this file format doesn't support plural forms and silently drops
- Write out a NeXTstep/GNUstep localized resource file in
Note that this file format doesn't support plural forms.
- ‘-w number’
- Set the output page width. Long strings in the output files will be
split across multiple lines in order to ensure that each line's width
(= number of screen columns) is less or equal to the given number.
- Do not break long message lines. Message lines whose width exceeds the
output page width will not be split into several lines. Only file reference
lines which are wider than the output page width will be split.
- Generate sorted output. Note that using this option makes it much harder
for the translator to understand each message's context.
- Sort output by file location.
9.9.5 Informative output
- Display this help and exit.
- Output version information and exit.