GNU GLOBAL source code tagging system
Copyright (c) 2000-2013 Tama Communications Corporation
GNU GLOBAL is a source code tagging system that works the same way
across diverse environments (emacs, vi, less, bash, web browser, etc).
You can locate symbols in source files and move there easily.
It is useful for hacking a large project containing many sub-directories,
#ifdef and many
It is similar to ctags or etags but is different from them at the point of
independence of any editor.
It runs on a UNIX(POSIX) compatible operating system like GNU and BSD.
GNU GLOBAL is part of the GNU project,
and is free software.
You can freely copy, modify and redistribute this program under
GNU GLOBAL has following features:
Please also see
"Comparison with Similar Tools"
in the OpenGrok project site for comparison with other tools.
- support C, C++, Yacc, Java, PHP4 and assembly. (definition and reference)
- support 41 languages using Exuberant Ctags. (only definition)
- work the same way across diverse environments.
Currently, the following environments are supported:
- Generic shell command line
- Bash shell
- Vi clone editor (nvi, elvis, vim)
- Emacs editor
- Less viewer
- Web browser
(See UNIX kernel source tour!.)
- Doxygen documentation system
- find locations of specified symbol quickly.
- locate not only definitions but also references.
- locate paths which matches to a specified pattern.
- hierarchical search by default.
- search not only in a project but also in library projects.
- generate completion list for completing input method.
- support various output format.
- allows customizing of the set of candidate files to be tagged.
- understand POSIX 1003.2 regular expressions.
- support idutils as an external search engine.
- tag files are independent of machine architecture.
- incremental updating of tag files.
- plug-in parser is available to treat new languages.
- support customizing with 'gtags.conf'.
- generate a hypertext of source code (XHTML ready).
- compact format to save disk space.
- customizing using a configuration file (gtags.conf).
- support client/server environment (TRAMP ready).
- ignore binary files, dot files and specified files.
- symbolic link loop detection.
- include cscope compatible program (gtags-cscope).
- include grep like command (-g command).
If you have a plan to make a yet another editor with tag facility,
you can use GLOBAL as the tag system of it.
May the GLOBAL be under you like the globe!