GNU Emacs FAQ for MS Windows
This is the FAQ for using GNU Emacs on MS Windows, as distributed with Emacs 26.3.
This FAQ is maintained by the developers and users of Emacs on MS Windows. If you find any errors, or have any suggestions, please send them to the help-emacs-windows mailing list.
At time of writing, the latest version of GNU Emacs is version 26.3.
Table of Contents
- GNU Emacs FAQ for MS Windows
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Getting Emacs
- 3 Installing Emacs
- 3.1 How do I unpack the distributions?
- 3.2 How do I install Emacs after unpacking the binary zip?
- 3.3 How do I get image support?
- 3.4 What is my init file?
- 3.5 Where do I put my init file?
- 3.6 Troubleshooting init file problems
- 3.7 How do I associate files with Emacs?
- 3.8 How do I use find-file to open files that are on the Desktop?
- 3.9 How can I modify Windows to act more like X?
- 3.10 How can I modify Emacs to act more like a Windows app?
- 3.11 Window operations
- 3.12 How do I uninstall Emacs?
- 3.13 When I run Emacs nothing happens
- 3.14 Does Emacs contain a virus?
- 3.15 What known problems are there with anti-virus software?
- 4 Display Settings
- 5 Fonts and text translation
- 5.1 Font names
- 5.2 How can I get bold and italic fonts to work?
- 5.3 Multilingual font support
- 5.4 How can I have Emacs use a font menu like on X?
- 5.5 How can I control CR/LF translation?
- 6 Printing
- 7 Subprocesses
- 7.1 Quoting issues
- 7.2 Programs reading input hang
- 7.3 Buffering in shells and subprocesses
- 7.4 16-bit subprocesses accessing the floppy drive
- 7.5 Killing subprocesses on Windows 95/98/Me
- 7.6 Sending EOF to subprocesses
- 7.7 How do I use a shell in Emacs?
- 7.8 How do I use Cygwin style paths in Emacs?
- 7.9 How do I make dired use my ls program?
- 7.10 How do I prevent shell commands from being echoed?
- 7.11 How can I make shell completion use forward slashes?
- 7.12 Why do I get incorrect DOS version messages?
- 7.13 Why is nothing happening when I enter shell commands?
- 8 Network access
- 8.1 How do I use mail in Emacs?
- 8.2 How do I open attachments in Gnus?
- 8.3 How do I use FTP within Emacs?
- 8.4 How do I use Tramp to work in Emacs via SSH?
- 8.5 How do I use telnet with Emacs?
- 9 Text and Utility modes
- 10 Developing with Emacs
- 10.1 How do I use Emacs with Microsoft Visual C++
- 10.2 Emacs and Borland C++ Builder
- 10.3 Is there a version of my VC software I can use with Emacs?
- 10.4 How do I use the Perl debugger with Emacs?
- 11 Other useful ports
- 12 Further information
|Fonts and text translation|
|Text and Utility modes|
|Developing with Emacs|
|Other useful ports|
Copyright © 2008, 2010-2019 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This list of frequently asked questions about GNU Emacs on MS Windows with answers (“FAQ”) may be translated into other languages, transformed into other formats (e.g., Texinfo, Info, WWW), and updated with new information.
The same conditions apply to any derivative of the FAQ as apply to the FAQ itself. Every copy of the FAQ must include this notice or an approved translation, information on who is currently maintaining the FAQ and how to contact them (including their e-mail address), and information on where the latest version of the FAQ is archived (including FTP information).
The FAQ may be copied and redistributed under these conditions, except that the FAQ may not be embedded in a larger literary work unless that work itself allows free copying and redistribution.