- Official page about the Debian GNU/Hurd port: Debian GNU/Hurd
- Debian FAQ — Frequently Asked Questions
There is a QEMU image with http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/debian-hurd.img.tar.gz.pre-installed available as
$ wget http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/debian-hurd.img.tar.gz $ tar -xz < debian-hurd.img.tar.gz $ qemu -m 512 -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user -drive cache=writeback,index=0,media=disk,file=$(echo debian-hurd-*.img)
If you have troubles extracting the image, you can use the gz version http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/debian-hurd.img.gz, the zip version http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/debian-hurd.img.zip, or even the plain version http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/debian-hurd.img (3GiB!)
See the discussion about writeback caching.
Just in case you were wondering: the root password is root.
For more detailed instructions, please see the QEMU page.
- Installation Instructions
- After install — Do this to get networking, new console and X
- Porting — Helping with porting packages
- Patch submission — How to submit patches for build failures
- Creating image tarball