Released Sep 12, 2022
Emacs 28.2 is a maintenance release.
Released Apr 4, 2022
Emacs 28.1 has a wide variety of new features, including:
- Native compilation of Lisp files
- Text shaping with HarfBuzz and drawing with Cairo
- Support for loading Secure Computing filters
- Much improved display of Emoji and Emoji sequences
- New system for documenting groups of functions
- A minor mode for context menus
- Mode-specific commands
- Emacs shows matching parentheses by default
- Many improvements and extensions to project.el
Released Mar 25, 2021
Emacs 27.2 is a maintenance release.
- The behavior of the user option 'resize-mini-frames' has changed.
Released Aug 10, 2020
Emacs 27.1 has a wide variety of new features, including:
- Built-in support for arbitrary-size integers
- Text shaping with HarfBuzz
- Native support for JSON parsing
- Better support for Cairo drawing
- Portable dumping used instead of unexec
- Support for XDG conventions for init files
- Additional early-init initialization file
- Built-in support for tab bar and tab-line
- Support for resizing and rotating of images without ImageMagick
See also dates of older releases.