GNU Dr. Geo, be a Geometer!
Dr. Geo, a software to design & manipulate interactive geometric sketches.
It helps kids to explore geometry.
Distributed with its source code it is modify-me-ready.
Dr. Geo aim is to be an open, easy to study, modify and extend interactive geometry software. It is distributed with its source code you can modify while using it. Ten years old kids use Dr. Geo to explore Euclidean geometric sketch, agile kids extend and program it with its embedded dynamic Smalltalk language and user interface.
Just like other interactive geometry software such as Cabri, Cinderella, Geogebra, Carmetal, with Dr. Geo the user creates a geometric sketch and manipulates it according to its constraints. What sets Dr.Geo apart from the other geometry software is the possibility of studying and even modifying/extending its source code while s/he is using it to create a figure.
Dr Geo is an educational oriented software. It's an observatory to explore geometry situation in an interactive way in opposition to figure drawn on a sheet of paper. The user interface was designed to be simple but efficient for young users. In spirit, Dr Geo is a free education tool for schools where freedom and equality matter.
Downloading Dr. Geo
The latest release of Dr. Geo can be downloaded from http://drgeo.eu/download.
To build Dr. Geo from its source code, you need:
- The Smalltalk source code, then read the instructions there to install.
- Dr. Geo is built with the Pharo Smalltalk programming system, licensed under the MIT license. So you need that system too.
- To build Dr. Geo, you can use the build script, but it is not mandatory.
But do not forget, the Dr. Geo source code can also be edited from Dr. Geo itself, from the integrated source code browser.
Documentation and help are found at http://drgeo.eu/help.
Dr. Geo has a forum at http://forum.drgeo.eu with dedicated sub forums:
- Announcements about Dr. Geo are made on Dr. Geo news.
- Dr. Geo users is used to discuss most aspects of Dr. Geo from the user perspective.
- Translations and documentation to discuss on these topics!
- Developers used for reporting the bugs and patches.
Development of Dr. Geo, and GNU in general, is a volunteer effort, and you can contribute. For information, please read How to help GNU. If you'd like to get involved, it's a good idea to join the discussion forum.
- Test releases
- Trying the latest test release (when available) is always appreciated. Test releases of Dr. Geo can be tested from Dr. Geo itself: you install alpha/beta release directly from the Tools>Update Dr. Geo menu within Dr. Geo.
- For development sources, issue trackers, and other information, please see the Dr. Geo project page.
- Dr. Geo is currently being maintained by Hilaire Fernandes hilaire AT drgeo.eu.
Dr. Geo is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.