Links to Other Free Software Sites
To help promote knowledge of free software that isn't GNU software distributed by the FSF, we have collected the following links to other web sites that contain free software, or is directly related to the issue of free software.
We do not have links to web sites of the well-known GNU/Linux system distributions, or to the well-known BSD system distributions, because all those sites explicitly describe, and facilitate access to, various non-free programs. We would be glad to know of other free software web sites that we could link to here.
The FSF is not responsible for the content of other web sites, or how up-to-date their content is.
Free GNU/Linux distributions
See here for information about fully-free GNU/Linux distributions.
Other free operating systems
We would especially like to know of other free operating systems that have a policy not to include, or recommend, non-free software. Developers of such operating systems that wish us to be aware of their system should contact <email@example.com>. These systems also follow our Guidelines for Free System Distributions.
Collections of free software
- DJ Delorie's site.
- GNU EmacsWiki: ElispArea
- GNU programs for the Amiga and BeOS
- A short list of free software for Microsoft Windows, for the Windows user who is curious about free software.
Free software documentation
The documentation at these sites may be older than the latest versions distributed by GNU.
- Floss Manuals, a collection of free manuals for free software.
- GNU manuals at delorie.com.
- Reuse RKT provides links to FAQs, standards and references.
- GNUjdoc is a central archive of Japanese translations of GNU documents.
Unofficial GNU sites
Free knowledge & free culture
- Wikipedia.org - The Free Encyclopedia.
- OurProject.org - Free Software & Free Knowledge for a Free Society (mostly in Spanish).
- Mutopia - collects and distributes free music, and information about free music.
Organizations related to free software
- GNU Mexico - The Mexican branch of the GNU Project
- GNU Spain - The Spanish branch of the GNU Project
- GNU Italia - The Italian branch of the GNU Project
- FSF Europe, Free Software Foundation Europe.
- FSF France, Free Software Foundation France.
- FSF India, Free Software Foundation India.
- FSF Latin America, Free Software Foundation Latin America
- GNU Solidario, a non-profit project to help developing countries with health and education using free software tools
- Belgeler.org (unavailable at this time) - A very comprehensive Turkish Translation project including philosophical writings about Free Software
- European Software Patent Horror Gallery
- FFII: Protecting Information Innovation against the Abuse of the Patent System
- Public Library of Science organizes support for online public libraries of science.
- OpenCores.Org is a volunteer group interested in developing hardware, with a similar ethos to the free software movement.
- OpenStreetMap is a free editable map of the whole world. OpenStreetMap allows you to freely view, edit and use geographical data in a collaborative way.
- The Free Model Foundry - for electrical engineers, free simulation models of digital components.
- Archives of the Free Software Business mailing list
- Foundation for a Free Informational Infrastructure (FFII)
- OpenCode (H2O)
- FreeGIS Project
- Translation Project
- OFSET - The Organization for Free Software in Education and Teaching.
- CIPSGA [Archived Page] (closed in 2010 in protest against software patents - see also http://www.debian.org/users/org/cipsga).
- pFFP [Archived Page] - The plugincinema Free Film Project promotes the use of free software to make and distribute films.
- Free Software Project in Brazil
- Free Software Corsica promotes free software and hardware that supports free GNU/Linux distributions in Corsica.
- GnuLinuxClub.org, dedicated to the propagation and usage of GNU/Linux and Free Software among the general computer users community.
- Fundacion via libre, an organization which promotes sharing and development of the knowledge based on free software movement principles.
- Sugar Labs, an organization set up to continue development of the Sugar desktop environment.
- FFKP, an organization that promotes free culture and software based in Sweden.
- Several companies sell computers with GNU/Linux preinstalled.
Companies that support free software development, and exclusively free software development
- Solis Coop (in Portuguese)
- Ada Core Technologies
- Intevation GmbH
- Propus Software Livre (partly in Portuguese)
- PROSA (partly in Italian)
- Simon Josefsson Datakonsult AB
- Wingnut Project (in Japanese)
Organizations that work for freedom in computer development and electronic communications
The OpenCores project exists to further the aims of the Open IP Core definition, which has the following tenets: information on using the hardware must be available; the design of the hardware must be available; design software for hardware must be available.
Chilling Effects is a collection point for cease and desist notices concerning online activity — we invite visitors to enter C&Ds they have received or sent. The website collects the C&Ds in a searchable database and hyperlinks them to explanations of the legal issues.
- The League for Programming Freedom
The League for Programming Freedom is an organization that opposes software patents and user interface copyrights.
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
EFF, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, is a non-profit, non-partisan organization working in the public interest to protect fundamental civil liberties, including privacy and freedom of expression, in the arena of computers and the Internet.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center
EPIC is a public interest research center in Washington, D.C. It was established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy, the First Amendment, and constitutional values.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
CPSR is a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others concerned about the impact of computer technology on society. We work to influence decisions regarding the development and use of computers because those decisions have far-reaching consequences and reflect our basic values and priorities.
- American Civil Liberties Union
The American Civil Liberties Union is the nation's foremost advocate of individual rights — litigating, legislating, and educating the public on a broad array of issues affecting individual freedom in the United States.
- Global Internet LibertyCampaign
The GILC comprises of members from American Civil Liberties Union, the Electronic Privacy Information Center, Human Rights Watch, the Internet Society, Privacy International, the Association des Utilisateurs d'Internet, and other civil liberties and human rights organizations. They advocate the prohibition of censorship of on-line communication, and insist that on-line free expression should not be restricted by indirect means such as excessively restrictive governmental or private controls over computer hardware or software, telecommunications infrastructure, or other essential components of the Internet.
- Electronic Frontiers Australia
Electronic Frontiers Australia Inc. (EFA) is a non-profit national organisation representing Internet users concerned with on-line freedoms and rights.
- Asociación por la Libertad de la Información
An association fighting for freedom of information in Spain.
These sites provide hosting for free software packages, focused on source code. We don't list other well-known hosting sites since they have advertisements or other encouragement for proprietary software. As usual, contact us at <firstname.lastname@example.org> if you have suggestions for the list.
- Savannah, a hosting site provided by GNU for both GNU and non-GNU packages. More info.
- Gna, the hosting site provided by FSF France, with support from the French company Free.
- Puszcza (pronounced "push-cha"), the hosting site maintained by long-time GNU volunteer Sergey Poznyakoff in Ukraine.
News about free software
These sites offer updated news about GNU and other free software.